Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Halloween of 2011 (Yes, I realize it is now May)

So Alex and I went back and forth for aaaaaages (read: about a month) trying to figure out what our costumes would be for this past Halloween. In 2010 we chose to be Stan and Wendy from our mutually beloved show, South Park.
(I know...it's hard to see our costumes with all the lovey-doveyness that's happening, but this is the best one we got of our costumes that night...I also wore yellow jeans)

 (In our opinions) our costumes were awesome, but unfortunately South Park isn't as popular as we thought it was (I know...what the whaaaat?!?!), so not very many people knew what we "were". This time, we ended up choosing Ricky and Lucy, because it would be fun AND recognizable. About a week before Halloween, my dad declared he and his girlfriend Maureen were going as Alfalfa and Darla from The Little Rascals.  Alex and I thought that was a brilliant idea and decided to steal it for ourselves.



And so began my adventures in sewing. Well, for the second-ish time. I began sewing my junior year of high school but didn't do much other than take in my old t-shirts or make them into tank tops. I chose this pattern for my Darla dress:



 
It was actually a breeze to put together, despite my putting it off until two days before Halloween. I was going to make it out of a yellow/peach fabric, but my muslin turned out so nicely (and I ran out of time) that I ended up wearing it to my boss's Halloween party, along with a sash and bow I made from some other fabric in my stash.

(I apologize for all the kissy stuff...I guess we just like each other...a lot)

Here is a picture of me having a drunken, possibly angry-ish conversation with a cat who would not allow me to pet him:

Look at him, just taunting me from the ledge.

Overall, I think it was a success. I haven't worn the dress since then, as I would have to hem it in order to feel comfortable (and I don't have the motivation for that right now). I am very short, so I prefer my hems to be above my knees.


So how about something new? Here is what I'm working on now:




I'll use the batiste (I think it's batiste? Maybe I'm crazy) for the actual skirt part and the costume satin for the lining. I figured a white A-line skirt should be an easy spring project...I'm hoping to get it done this weekend...I don't have rehearsal (more about that another time) until Monday of next week, so I'll have plenty of time to work on it.

Well, I'm off to bed! (It's 11pm, no matter what the rediculous clock on the bottom of this post says). Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment